Skip to main content

Introduction

Happy Thanksgiving! I am thankful for the gift of creativity. My colleagues will tell you, "everything's a story with him!" It's hard for me not to think expressively. I find myself challenging traditional adages and proposing perfectly poised prompts to shift minds away from normalized thinking. Care to join me in this!?

L.I.S.T.E.N. is an acronym for Lessons in Scripture to Enact Now. I hope that by this blog the lessons that I have learned in Bible study around my Lord, my leadership, and my love (relationships) can benefit others. It's my intention with this prose to enable readers with actionable steps toward success in these three areas.

I will not solely direct communications towards believers. I honestly believe, no pun intended, that there is a harvest of wisdom to reap here for anyone and everyone. Commit to approach this with an open mind and an open heart and realize that I am but one person speaking of personal experience. Your role as the reader is to discover its application for you.

You can expect a lot of B.A.D. posts from me - "there he goes again with the acronyms -- someone tear out the period key on his keyboard" - by that I mean I will make many points in Brevity and Depth. So here's a B.A.D. post to lead us into this e-literary journey:

BOUNDaries: Sometimes we may think boundaries mean bondage, but BOUND entails movement towards something. Boundaries are most often created for safety and security, defining the space we’re allotted in a particular area. For many, boundaries may instead be perceived as constraints rather than a designation of free/open space. But what we know about the word  “bound” is that it signifies moving forward towards something. Setting boundaries, then, is fruitful, not futile. All in all, we establish boundaries in relationships so that they're bound for success.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Relational Matrix

How to Relate I enjoy talking about relationships and challenging the “I can do good all by myself” mindset some of us adopt amidst seasons of singularity and/or rough patches. I reference God in Genesis. After each day of creation, “God saw all that he had made, and it was very good.” Mind you, mankind was distinguished from the rest of creation when the triune assembly agreed upon “let us make man in our image; in our likeness.” So, why then, if made in God’s image, was it unfit for Adam to be alone? God, our creator, in and of himself relates – The Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Throughout scripture we can see how one edifies the next and so on. God then, in his grace and grandeur, afforded us the full realization of godliness by noting, that while all he had created was very good, it wasn’t good for man to be alone. This is the only time in the creation process that we hear him say “it isn’t good.” Therefore, just as God is in relationship as Father, Son and Holy Spirit – s

VOLUNTEER MOVE: Poetic Academy

Poetic Academy presents… Where were you Saturday April 15, 2017? I mean, really? See, if you did not see what I had seen, I find it hard to believe you’re part of the scene. You may not quite be in place to impart, in whole or in part, your affinity for the arts, because while professionals presented prose, and crowds arose to standing ovations, where and what were you creating? Read on, as I digress from these lyrical Olympic games, and present a picture for your frame, of reference.   Frame of mind. A mathematician of kinds. Of sorts, or of course. We have mastered the addition of wordplay to multiply the impact of the words said, dividing audiences between who was best, who’s up next, who just went. If you’re studious, you can join the likes of us, more than liking us, write like us – matter of fact, write like you. But as a student, you need a teacher. Then, pick up your pen and let’s start the course. Now you’re on course, to succeed. Your first session is my course, t

Resolve Your Resolutions

It's that time of the year! "New year, new me" - as cliché and dated as that statement is I'm sure we'll see it posted about and hear it in passing. New Years is a time people use to reflect and create goals for improvement. Alternatively, without reflection, people simply vow that the year to come will be better and express eagerness to see the end of the current year. But why do we wait until years end? Ecclesiastes 5:4-5 & Numbers 30:2   instruct us not to delay fulfilling vows and oaths, and to hold to our word and do everything we said we would. So what holds us back? I believe what holds us back is the comparison trap. Luke 18:18-27  introduces us to the rich young ruler. He's resolved to inherit eternal life so he rightfully inquires with Jesus as to the means of doing so. The responses are encouraging as he realizes he's doing many things correctly. So at what point is he disheartened? Jesus challenges him then to do more - go and sell all