Skip to main content

When, Will You Be Here?

"When" is that distant friend of ours we can't seem to easily get a hold of. Once dependable, "When" rarely seems present and is always promising you of their later availability. 

Here's what I'm alluding to: for a lot of us, our goal setting, vision casting, and dream chasing is defined by “when.”

  • When I get this job 
  • When I get this car
  • When I have this conversation
  • When I develop this idea 
When, out of context, is illusive. Getting away from the word play for a moment, I realize that this play on words in its usual form, "when will you be here?" communicates the same point. In all your wishful thinking of the future, when will you be HERE in the moment? Creating a new reality for yourself requires you to remain in your current one to see the revision process through.



View it this way. It's not just about getting there! With any destination (there) you have a starting point (here). So you can't get where you want to go when ignoring where you are.

I'll end with this. The original analogy that occurred to me was that of planning an event. Certain events are defined by their keynote presenters. Your goal is your event, and you were depending on "When" to be your keynote - thus, the question can also be "Did you invite When to (the) present?"






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Relational Matrix

How to Relate I enjoy talking about relationships and challenging the “I can do good all by myself” mindset some of us adopt amidst seasons of singularity and/or rough patches. I reference God in Genesis. After each day of creation, “God saw all that he had made, and it was very good.” Mind you, mankind was distinguished from the rest of creation when the triune assembly agreed upon “let us make man in our image; in our likeness.” So, why then, if made in God’s image, was it unfit for Adam to be alone? God, our creator, in and of himself relates – The Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Throughout scripture we can see how one edifies the next and so on. God then, in his grace and grandeur, afforded us the full realization of godliness by noting, that while all he had created was very good, it wasn’t good for man to be alone. This is the only time in the creation process that we hear him say “it isn’t good.” Therefore, just as God is in relationship as Father, Son and Holy Spirit – s

VOLUNTEER MOVE: Poetic Academy

Poetic Academy presents… Where were you Saturday April 15, 2017? I mean, really? See, if you did not see what I had seen, I find it hard to believe you’re part of the scene. You may not quite be in place to impart, in whole or in part, your affinity for the arts, because while professionals presented prose, and crowds arose to standing ovations, where and what were you creating? Read on, as I digress from these lyrical Olympic games, and present a picture for your frame, of reference.   Frame of mind. A mathematician of kinds. Of sorts, or of course. We have mastered the addition of wordplay to multiply the impact of the words said, dividing audiences between who was best, who’s up next, who just went. If you’re studious, you can join the likes of us, more than liking us, write like us – matter of fact, write like you. But as a student, you need a teacher. Then, pick up your pen and let’s start the course. Now you’re on course, to succeed. Your first session is my course, t

Is it Urgent or is it Important?

Wait! It can't be both!? My professional and volunteer work history mostly included children's programming. It saw me in frequent, direct interaction with kids with myself in a facilitatory role. Never before had I felt the weight of competing priorities until my current term as an AmeriCorps VISTA. I honestly believe nonprofits were the ones to coin the term "and all other duties" that exist on most job descriptions.   My current supervisor, extraordinary as she is, struck my attention when she encouraged me in my project management to be able to "differentiate what's urgent from what's important." This made little sense to me as I regularly thought of these words as synonyms. That, and I had yet to be introduced to the Eisenhower decision matrix. (it's worth a Google search) Nonetheless, I nodded reassuringly, I don't know how reassuring it was really, and moved along in a state of "huh?" level confusion. But in all my EST